At The Story Pot we believe in looking after the environment, and as well as doing our part with our packaging and bags, we have a number of books to help encourage a love of our world and the animal life within it. Here are our top 7 (in no particular order!):
1) A Forest by Marc Martin - When a forest is cut down, the consequences are more than anyone could have anticipated. A great introduction to deforestation, for children age 3+.
2) Animal Rescue by Patrick George - This is a fabulous interactive book where the acetate pages change the scene from one of captivity to one of freedom. A book without words that has a very powerful message, perfect for ages 2+.
3) Bee & Me by Alison Jay - We hear much about the plight of the bumble bee population and its implications for our planet's future. This beautiful picture book makes the story personal and brings a message of hope. A wonderful wordless books by one of our favourite illustrators! Probably best for ages 3+, though younger children will enjoy it too.
4) Hot Air by Sandrine Dumas Roy and Emanuelle Houssais - A hilarious story where animals have to find a sustainable solution to save the planet. The reason? Farting cows! Children age 5+ will love this story!
5) The Bear with the Sword by Davide Cali and Gianluca Foli - In this timely and ingenious parable, a bear goes out into the forest with a sword to chop down trees. Soon after, his impregnable fort is washed away by a flood and he goes out to find and punish the creature responsible. This is a book with a message that our actions have consequences, and that we have a responsibility to look after our environment. Great for ages 4+.
6) The Tin Forest by Helen Ward and Wayne Anderson - "There was once a wide, windswept place, near nowhere and close to forgotten that was filled with all the things that no one wanted". A beautiful story where one man improves the world around him. For ages 3+ (though my little one enjoyed it when she was 2!).
7) Where Did They Go? by Emily Bornoff - In this stunning spotting book, the reader has to search for endangered animals in jungles, in deserts and on the ice. A great introduction to endangered animals and what is being done to save them. Ideal for ages 3 - 6, though younger children may enjoy it too.
We hope you enjoy our selection. We'd love to know what you think and which your favourites are so feel free to leave a comment!